Top 10 Holiday Safety Tips

December 19th, 2018

Always be aware of electrical safety hazards in your home.

Here are our top tips to ensure you and your loved ones enjoy a safe and happy holiday.

Inspect your lights and electrical decorations for damage. Cracked plugs or sockets, exposed wires, and loose connections could cause a shock or start a fire.

Choose the right lights and decorations (many are rated for either indoor or outdoor use). Use products approved by the Canadian Standards Association or other certification agency.

Don’t overload electrical outlets, as circuits can overheat and pose a fire hazard.

Avoid stringing multiple strands of lights together. It can blow a fuse or cause a fire.

Protect electrical cords from damage. Don’t run cords under carpets, through doorways, next to heat sources, or in places where they can be damaged by furniture. Use proper clips to secure lights, rather than staples or nails.

Never remove the third prong on plugs to make them fit —this grounding pin prevents shock in the event of electrical equipment failure.

Check for overhead power lines before using a ladder to put up outdoor lights and decorations.

Don’t leave cooking equipment unattended. Turn off burners if you have to leave the room.

Turn off and unplug lights and decorations when leaving the house or going to bed — it saves energy and prevents fire risk.

Holiday lights and decorations can deteriorate over time when exposed to the elements. Take them down when the holidays are over to prevent cracking, which can pose a risk of shock or fire.


Drawing by the child of one of our Hydro employees



Media Contact:

Jill Pitcher
Senior Communications Advisor, Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro
t. 709.737.1219 / c. 709.689.9938 e.