UPDATED – Statement regarding serious incident on Hydro’s transmission line


Updated – June 20 – 4:45PM

Following yesterday’s tragic event during construction of the new transmission line from Bay d’Espoir to the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro (Hydro) has been working closely with our contractor, Forbes Bros. Ltd., to provide full support to their team at this very difficult time.

“First and foremost our thoughts remain with the families of the two individuals who tragically lost their lives yesterday, their co-workers, as well as Hydro employees who have been working with the contractor across the province,” said Jim Haynes, President of Hydro.

All transmission construction on the new line from Bay d’Espoir has been suspended while an investigation is carried out. The contractor is cooperating fully and Hydro will work closely with them and provincial health and safety officials to better understand how this tragedy occurred.

At this time it is not known when construction will resume.

“At Hydro, safety is at the core of everything we do. We all have heavy hearts as we think of the individuals involved and what their families are going through,” said Haynes. “Hundreds of skilled and dedicated people are working on similar projects in this province every day. That is why we must continue our relentless commitment to safety and do everything possible to help ensure that everyone goes home safely.”


Updated – June 19 – 5:45PM

It is with deep regret that Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro confirms that during work on the construction of the new transmission line from Bay d’Espoir to the Avalon Peninsula early this afternoon, an accident occurred that has resulted in two fatalities. The individuals were employed by a contractor company that had been engaged by Hydro.

Hydro is working closely with the contractor with great concern and sympathy for the families and coworkers that have been affected by this tragic event.

While all details are not yet fully known, we do know that the accident occurred west of Come by Chance.

All construction on the transmission line has been suspended effective immediately.

We will do everything necessary to support the contractor, their employees and all those working on the project. The safety of our employees, contractors and the public continues to be our number one priority.

We will continue to provide information as appropriate.


Original Statement – June 19 – 3:30 PM

Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro confirms that we are currently investigating a serious incident that has occurred during construction of the new transmission line from Bay d’Espoir to the Avalon Peninsula. The incident occurred west of Come by Chance.

All construction on the transmission line has been suspended effective immediately.

The safety of our employees, contractors and the public continues to be our number one priority.

We will continue to provide information as appropriate.